Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Daily Devotion, June 21, 2011 - WWJD?


Acts 5:29
Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than human beings!"

The acronym, "WWJD", or "What Would Jesus Do?", became a popular phrase, especially with young Christians, in the 1990s. It appeared on everything from bracelets and necklaces to bumper stickers and t-shirts. I actually still have my key-chain emblazoned with WWJD that my daughter, then about 10, gave me for my birthday. While some might argue that such commercialization cheapened the slogan and over-exposure watered down the message, I, personally, don't think that we can see it, hear it, or think about it enough. Before we act on or react to any situation in which we find ourselves, shouldn't this be the first question we ask?

The apostles knew first-hand what Jesus would do. They understood their mission: to spread the good news of salvation through Him and to teach others the lessons He taught to them. The authority that once belonged solely to Jesus has embraced them through the Holy Spirit. They did not see obedience to the will of God as a choice and were prepared to endure any persecution, imprisonment, and even death to bring the Gospel to the world. Without their commitment to Jesus' Great Commission, Christianity would have floundered, not flourished.

The next time you find yourself in a difficult predicament or facing temptation, stop right then and ask yourself, "What would Jesus do?" I think the ensuing decision you make will be the right one.

Readings
Psalms 97, 99 (100) or 94, (95)
1 Samuel 6:1-16
Acts 5:27-42
Luke 21:37-22:13

2 comments:

  1. Great words! This reminds me of Psalm 40:8 8 I desire to do your will, my God;
    your law is within my heart.”
    May we always desire for our wills to align to God's and when we do fail, be repentent and thankful that we have a God full of love, mercy and grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Jessica! According to Jan Karon, author of the Mitford Series, the prayer that never fails is, "Thy will be done". I always try to remember that!

    ReplyDelete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...