Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Cat's Meow

Psalm 145:15-16
The eyes of all look to you,
and you give them their food at the proper time.
You open your hand
and satisfy the desires of every living thing.

My 17-year-old cat, Jordan, is as quirky as they come. If I described all her habits, mannerisms, and behaviors that have come and gone and come again over the years, they would fill a book. Here, for your sake and mine, I'm only going to focus on one: meowing.

From the time Jordan was a kitten until four years ago, she always shared her life with dogs. Once she had put them in their place as cats are wont to do, she got along famously with all of them, but especially with Maggie, my little Norfolk terrier and the last dog I owned. The only thing Jordan could not control was my dogs', especially Maggie's, reaction to her meowing. The sound evoked immediate and vociferous rebuke in the form of sharp barks, bad breath and all, right in her face. Needless to say, it wasn't long before she quit emitting any sound at all; her voice was as silent as her footfall.

After Maggie passed away, it took quite awhile for Jordan to realize that her meows would no longer be chastised; her mews returned, hesitantly at first, but today, she practices them with a vengeance, especially when she wants me to feed her. She has always been a petite, lithe creature and, after a recent bout with an e. coli infection, we have been, I admit it, spoiling her with every savory tidbit to try to put meat back on her bones. Jordan senses when I'm deep in thought, writing on the computer, studying my Bible, or consumed by kitchen chores and inevitably chooses those inopportune moments to begin her raucous pleas. What a fuss she makes! How her once tentative meows have burgeoned! Irritated as I might feel at the annoying interruptions, I willingly and lovingly cater to her needs. Her green, luminous eyes look to me and trust me to give her food at the proper time.

Are your eyes looking to God to meet your needs? Do you have faith that He can and will? The Bread of Life and the Living Water are freely given and guaranteed to satisfy the desires of your heart.

Readings
Psalms (83), 145 or 85, 86
2 Samuel 11:1-27
Acts 19:11-20
Mark 9:2-13

2 comments:

  1. A great reminder. God satisfies all of our needs, if only we will turn our eyes towards Him and keep our gaze steady. I've noticed when I start to feel restless or a bit cranky and off-alignment with God it's because I haven't entered His Word that day or need to enter into it a bit more for renewed strength and focus. It surely is spiritual manna :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Jessica! I am the same way; if I'm feeling unbalanced or off-course, it's for that very same reason. I love your description of "spiritual manna"!

    ReplyDelete

Keep Calm and Pray

  As they sailed, he fell asleep.  A squall came down on the lake, so that the boat was being swamped, and they were in great danger.  The d...