Tuesday, August 2, 2011

What's In a Name?

Mark 8:29
"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"
Peter answered, "You are the Messiah."

As impulsive as ever, but correct this time, Peter blurts out his answer. Can't you just visualize the joy and relief on Jesus' face upon hearing this from one of the group of disciples for whom He had had little hope just days before? They had witnessed miracle upon miracle without realizing the truth about Him; Jesus had to be pondering, "Won't the light ever break through?" Up until this point, Jesus may have been wondering, too, if He had even chosen the right company of men with whom to surround Himself. Peter's declaration lifted the veil from the eyes of the others and paved the way for Jesus to tell them what the Messiah, the Anointed One, the Savior, the Deliverer, the Christ, must endure before all can be made new.

If you were to ask someone today, "Who do you say I am?", what answer would you be given? What would you expect? Would it not depend upon whom you were asking? How many people do you know could go beyond the, "Why, you're (your name placed here), of course!" I've heard it said that the more "names" a person has, the more beloved this person is by others. Can you think of all the names you have been given with endearment that say something about who you truly are inside? I do hope you will share here, but remember, no matter how many loving nicknames and monikers you and I have been given, God beats us by a country mile!

Please visit this site and call Him by His profound and blessed names~
http://smilegodlovesyou.org/names.html

Readings
Psalms 78:1-39 or 78:40-72
2 Samuel 7:``18-29
Acts 18:12-28
Mark 8:22-33

5 comments:

  1. It so funny when I think about all the names I have and who uses them. It's strange when someone who usually calls me by one name suddenly uses another, it sounds strange coming from their mouth. I am Jean, Gina Jeannie,Regina,Mom, Grandma,Old Lady,Honey,Sis Sweetie, Toots,Mrs. Farrell,Hey Lady, and many more and I love them all because they are each used with affection by people who love me and I love.Something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once in a prayer group the woman leading read this same scripture, then asked us to pause and meditate on the question, “Who do you say that I am?” But she wanted us to ask God the question about ourselves. Who does God say that we are?
    If you asked Him this Martha, he’d probably say to you, “You are my Beloved, and my delight is in you.”

    ReplyDelete
  3. May I be His delight - that is my all in all. Thank you, dear Debra!

    Isn't it wonderful to have so many delightful, endearing names by which to be called? I think we have a chance to discover just how complex and beautiful we are when we are given many titles and names. It does increase the love within ourselves and the love we are willing to give to others. We grow, we thrive, we achieve God's Kingdom here on earth, and sometimes, it only takes a name given in love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I have had a few monikers given to me over the years, the one I'm most fond of is when God sees me as "My Child"... Such a powerful and Blessed name we all have in that group!

    Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...