Monday, February 20, 2012

Father Knows Best!

Proverbs 27:1
Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring.

"I'm shakin' the dust of this crummy little town off my feet and I'm gonna see the world. Italy, Greece, the Parthenon, the Colosseum. Then, I'm comin' back here to go to college and see what they know. And then I'm gonna build things. I'm gonna build airfields, I'm gonna build skyscrapers a hundred stories high, I'm gonna build bridges a mile long . . ." ~George Bailey, It's a Wonderful Life

Wow! George Bailey's dreams are larger than life. He knows what he wants. His goals are set. The sky's the limit!

Then, as it does to us all, life happens. Smack dab in the middle of George's best laid plans.

Right in the middle of ours.

And, nothing turns out the way he, and we, hoped . . .

Does that mean we shouldn't dream? Know what we want? Set lofty goals?

By no means!

But, if and when a door should close, do we know how to look for a window?

Can we take disappointment not as a discouraging detour but as a road less traveled?

And, when life is an uphill battle, can we shift gears? Maintain the belief that, somehow, some way, we will eventually arrive at the top?

When God answers our prayers with a "no", I firmly believe it is because He has dreams and desires and goals for our lives which we have yet to imagine.

Ones we will never realize if we stand forever at that door. At the fork in the road. Or, stall out on that hill.

We must move out in faith. With a prayer in our hearts and on our lips. Following His lead.

Trusting that our Father knows best . . .
~
Where is the Lord leading you today?

Will you pray with me?
Help us to be prepared, Father, to change course willingly and gratefully when You are calling us in a different direction. Let us not allow disappointments to defeat us, but to always see them as opening the windows of new opportunities. May we walk by faith, trusting that You know what is best for us. Amen.

Readings
Psalms 25 or 9, 15
Proverbs 27:1-6, 10-12
Philippians 2:1-13
John 18:15-18, 25-27

10 comments:

  1. WOW! WOW, Martha!
    Can't believe (well, then again, maybe I can believe) how close we are to the same page here. I've blogged so often about God knowing what's best for us and not becoming discouraged when a door closes. I'm usually good at recognizing when an ending to something has happened. I can most times find that proverbial window.

    It's one of the blessings of my strong faith. Thanks for reminding us that life does happen. The challenge is even though we may not get what we want, as The Rolling Stones so aptly put it, we do get what we need.
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So great to see you here, Chris! Thanks for stopping by!
      Yes, I have definitely seen you tackle this theme in your blog. It is so important, it bears the telling and re-telling - life does happen when we are making other plans . . .
      And, you are blessed with a strong and vibrant faith, my friend, one that shines through your writings and into the lives of others.
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  2. Hmmm...I lived in a house made of concrete but after my College graduation God invited me to use a tent because He wanted to take me to different places. I wanted an adventure so we did travel together for many years until I had my fracture. I thought it was the end of everything and it took me years to put back all the broken pieces together. But, you know, God always has contingency plans. He does knows best Martha. He showed me that there are many roads towards our goals in life...not just one. But He gives us the freedom to choose.

    I pray with you, may we be rooted in faith because God is truly a firm foundation. The only One we could hold unto for eternity.

    I love this post and reflection Martha. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Melissa, for stopping by today!
      It sounds like you have had many and varied adventures over the years. I like what you said, too, about God having contingency plans when all seems lost. He does give us freedom to choose and, sometimes, because of it, we can make the wrong choice at the time. Somehow, though, He always seems to get us back on track.
      I'm so glad you liked today's reflection.
      And, yes, we will hold onto God, our sure foundation!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  3. I can so identify with this Martha...my best laid plans went for a toss when I broke my leg, but believe me this has reinforced my resolve to come back stronger and chase my dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Janaki!
      I had a feeling this post would hit home with you because of your recent fracture. I'm so glad to hear, though, that this won't stop you from pursuing your dream. I know you'll succeed! :)
      Blessings always!

      Delete
  4. I believe on the one hand it is important to dream and dream big. Do those dreams always come true? Of course not but let's not rule out the possibility that they will. Without dreams there are no goals to work toward. As the Bible says, without a vision, the people perish! If you hadn't of dreamed of creating a daily blog with lots of followers and then done it... well, you see my point. Life does happen. Sometimes it means we must be persistent and stay with the dream long enough to make it happen. Sometimes it means God says later, not now. Sometimes it means God has another idea altogether. Discernment is the key....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discernment and vision - great commentary here, Lynne!
      Yes, we must have dreams and goals, yet be able to make the changes we need in ourselves and circumstances to realize them.
      Loved your input! Thanks for stopping by today!
      Blessings to you!

      Delete
  5. Great post Martha. It's always difficult when God says No and takes you in a different direction BUT God always gives more than you can want and His plans are far better than ours! Thanks for the reminder, Mike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for stopping by, Mike!
      Yes, God is the best GPS we could ever have. We just have to listen and heed His direction for us.
      Blessings to you!

      Delete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...