Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Where is Your Hope?


1 Timothy 6:17
Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides with everything for our enjoyment.

When I resign from my job several years back, my husband, Danny, is understandably concerned.  We have enjoyed two incomes since we married and the extra perks which come with them.  In losing one of those incomes, we know we have to make some financial adjustments.

"And, if things start to get tight," I reassure him, "I'll look for a part-time job.  In fact, I'll begin looking this week if it makes you feel better."

"No, don't look right away," Danny says.  "You are burned out from working, and I'm more concerned about your health than our wealth.  We'll get by.  If there's one thing I know how to do, it's sticking to a budget.

That's the understatement of the year.  Danny keeps monthly budgets on Excel spreadsheets.  It's serious business!

"Well, if you're sure . . ."

"Positive."

But, I note a trace of apprehension in Danny's voice.  I reach out and take his hand.

"Don't worry, honey.  God is all over this.  I can feel it!  He will provide."

~

Now, as I reflect upon where we were then and where God has brought us today, I stand in awe and wonder . . .

That part-time job?  I applied for several, but got nowhere.  God closed those doors.  Tight!

Did we scale back our expenditures?  Yes, we did, but to this day, we haven't felt economically pinched or deprived in any way.

Did we worry?  I would be lying if I said, "no."  But, we kept returning to the Lord in prayer for wisdom, guidance and peace of mind.

And, if God hadn't insisted that I stay at home,  you would not be reading this.  I wouldn't have started a blog.  I wouldn't have a total of 460 devotions under my belt.

Most importantly, I wouldn't have published novels.  For it was my story synopsis coupled with the link to my blog which convinced my publisher to take me on.

And, if that weren't enough, just recently, we are incredibly blessed both by some long-expected and unexpected windfalls.  Wow!

We are overwhelmed.  We are thankful.

We are blessed . . .

~
Where is your hope?

Will you join me in prayer?
Especially in these troubling economic times, Father, it is difficult for many to place their hope in You when worries and fears in the present moment surround them.  I pray today for all who need a job, food on the table, and a place to call home.  Comfort them with Your presence, dear Lord, and lead them to have hope in You.  Amen.

For another look at God's provision for us, I invite you to visit my friend, Andy Wood, at his blog entitled Lifevesting.

14 comments:

  1. Funny you should ask.. I was talking inside of myself about this very subject last night. Hope. Even though I sometimes feel like the days are difficult to get through, my dreams are hanging over the cliff, etc., I am never without hope. Even if all I have is a shimmer, it's there and keeps me plugging away. Good one, Martha, and perfect timing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the timing of this message was perfect for you, Brenda! Yes, when there is hope, there is life. We can always make it through.
      Thanks so much for visiting!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  2. Amen, Martha! Yes, God will provide! I won't deny that there are days when I cry and worry. But I know that God is with me. He is with us in our journey.

    Thank you for giving me hope through your beautiful reflection. Much love and God bless <3 :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Irene!
      We all have those days of worry and fretting. Those are the times we need to earnestly pray for God to take them away from us and give us the peace which passes all understanding.
      Glad this reflection strengthen your hope!
      Blessings and love!

      Delete
  3. i'm with you on this one, martha!

    "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well." ~ Matthew 6:33

    thanks for the reminder -- i LOVE to see happy, success stories which proves it works!! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for visiting, Linda, and for leaving this scripture from Matthew. Absolute truth in this one!
      Glad you enjoyed this post today, my friend.
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  4. Hope is one of the most beautiful gifts God showered upon us but not everybody has developed it. I am inspired by your story. I wish I could also read you in Chicken Soup for the Soul :) although I'm sure your novels and this blog are incomparable.

    I admit that I haven't committed to any friend yet ~ to buy their works or engage in activities that might involve money and all. Financial constraints could be a source of worry and what the future might hold ~ old age etc. but I always hope that the Lord will open new roads for each one of us. I continue to work on a positive mindset knowing that the Lord will always provide.

    We have a generation that seeks so much for peace, hope and comfort in a very fragmented world. I pray with you. May we learn to reach out to people whose voice is stifled by violence and despair. May we learn to identify our anchor... the One Who loves us and seeks our own good.

    Lots of love to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Melissa, and for your most thoughtful comment here.
      And, I agree - hope is a great gift from God and one we cannot live without. And, when we place our faith and trust in the One Who Provides, we can have an inner peace and the courage to face the future no matter what it holds.
      Love and blessings to you, dear friend!

      Delete
  5. Amazing story, Martha!
    God will provide when you THINK all is lost. I've learned that lesson many times over, my friend. There are those who say faith will only get you so far.

    I don't see it that way. Faith will get you everything you want as long you have it and see it everywhere. Your story is a perfect example, Martha!
    --
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you liked the story, Chris, and that you took the time to stop by and comment.
      And, yes, faith WILL get us by in every circumstance; I know this is so true in your life as well as mine. Walking in faith is the only way to go!
      Love and blessings!

      Delete
  6. I would say that my source of hope has change a lot throughout the years. Right now, when things are tough,I take refuge in chanting God's names, and knowing that though this material world is every shifting and oftentimes uncertain and filled with trials, that there is an eternal reality, God, that promises to be our anchor to keep us steady when life seems to threaten to wash our sense of security away.

    So happy for you and Danny that you have been receiving blessings and are doing so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by today, Jessica, and for sharing your thoughts.
      We know that in this life there will be trials and tribulations, changes and uncertainty, but with God as our anchor, as you said, we can stay the course, face the future, and embrace the changes which are inevitable.
      Blessings and love, my friend!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing this inspiring story Martha and your personal experiences. You show us not only hope, but faith and patience will win the day.

    If we have hope, we have everything in the world. And no one inspires hope as much in our lives as God does. It's also trusting Him during the dark and uncertain times that we really can grow our faith in God and our our hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for coming by, Vishnu!
      Yes, if we have hope, we DO have everything, don't we? God is so good; and, if we wait upon His timing, we can be at peace.
      Blessings to you, my friend!

      Delete

. . . Good Tidings of Great Joy . . .

  . . . Good tidings of great joy . . . ~Luke 2:10 Pictured above are my daughter, Sarah, son-in-law, John, and their three girls, Virginia,...